Smithson Craighead Academy (SCA), sponsored by Project Reflect, was the first charter school in Middle Tennessee, and we hope you will consider us for your child(ren). SCA offers a rigorous academic program that specializes in helping students who are behind catch up while offering wonderful options for students who are on grade level or advanced. SCA also offers a loving, nurturing environment in which you and your child become part of a real and life-long family. We have data walls and track academic mastery on a weekly basis, but we also have fall festivals and pep rallies. We offer intensive intervention strategies for students as well as daily hugs and high fives. We offer academic excellence and the feel of the neighborhood schools we grew up in and loved as children ourselves.
- *Ranked 15th out of all elementary schools in Nashville.
- *PREP tutoring and computer training is also available Monday through Friday from 6:30 am – 7:45 am.
- *Door-to-door transportation in most of Davidson County.
- *Free breakfast and lunch (catered) for all students as well as a substantial afternoon snack from Second Harvest that can serve as a third meal of the day.
- *One of only 11 schools in Tennessee chosen by Vanderbilt University for a special intervention training program.
- *Character development through a school-wide discipline plan that encourages responsibility and accountability through self reflection.
- *Foster grandparents in classrooms who are provided through a partnership with FiftyForward.
- *Use of Title I Tutors and Instructional Coaches.
- *Data-driven instruction and project-based learning.
- *Differentiated instruction – reading groups, small math groups, one-on-one tutoring.
- *Use of higher level thinking techniques – asking open-ended questions, providing sentence starters.
- *Use of cooperative learning strategies – kits, buddy reading, learning groups.
- *Inclusion of special needs students in classes – all students working collectively in the classroom setting with accommodations for special needs students captured in a detailed IEP.
- *Computer lab, mobile labs, and a library!
- *A gorgeous, 22-acre campus on Neely’s Bend Road in Madison, TN—great classrooms, a large gym and cafeteria, playgrounds, a garden, and athletic fields.